Too Many Monitors?

UPDATE: Kris wins. :)

I am an information addict. The Internet is my crack, and the LCD monitor is like my crack pipe. (Or heroin and syringe if you prefer, or meth and… well, I don’t know how one “does” meth, but you get the idea)

At work, I have (3) 22+ inch monitors set up like a central command for post-apocalyptic warfare. Or efficient multitasking across 3 operating systems. (The latter is accurate, the former sounds cooler) Even with this trifecta of digital information conveyance, I find myself trying to mount a 4th monitor which will strictly be a fullscreen Google Calendar. I find that with so much screen real estate, it’s easy to overlook a small blinking reminder. With Google Calendar, there is a nice “current time” line that continually moves as the day progresses. I think I’d be more likely to take advantage of my schedule if I actually saw it on a more consistent basis.

So there’s my question: How many monitors are too many? Or is that like asking how much money is too much money?

16 Comments

1. gamerchick02 says:

Oh my.

I’m afraid I only have one (the LCD on my laptop) but I do have 4 virtual desktops.

Depends on what you do. I think I’d lose information with that much real estate…

Amy

2. Vince says:

It is, in fact, like asking how much money is too much money.

3. Darkade says:

I just have one monitor but I do think 3 is the ideal, with a small monitor for system monitoring.

4. Adrian says:

I’ve ranged from a 1 monitor setup to a 4 monitor setup (one of the monitors was actually a ceiling projector!) and throughout all of it I always could have used one more. The problem is, once you get used to having the configuration you have, you think of how to utilize an extra monitor to improve productivity, information absorption, etc.

5. Shawn Powers says:

It turns out mounting a monitor on a brick wall is challenging though. Maybe I should take Adrian’s idea and use a projector. ;o)

6. I would prefer dealing with one large screen and a multi-port KVM. I don’t think any amount is too many, if you use them.

7. Nathan says:

I think one would be enough if it was big enough. And no…the one they use on “NCIS Los Angeles” isn’t big enough and they all look like a bunch of big dorks using it. (More like an iPhone that won’t fit in their pockets)

8. Too many monitors? BAH!

At work I have two monitors on my desktop, but I also am running a Mac and a laptop at the same time, so I’m typically viewing four monitors, but with three different computers.

As much as I love my laptop, I prefer two (or more) monitors.

9. Topher says:

I’ve never been able to get used to the idea of giant holes in my desktop. So I have a single large one, running at 2560×1600 with 8 virtual desktops. It’s wonderful.

10. Shawn Powers says:

Fair enough, Topher, but like Michelle — mine are actually several computers. My main 3 now are Windows, OSX, and Linux. The 4th will likely be connected to the Mac, because it’s in the middle. :)

11. Topher says:

That’s what rdp and vnc are for. :)

12. I’ve got two monitors on the desk, but sometimes I also run at least three windows in Spaces, two of which are remote access screens.

13. Shawn's MOM says:

I have 1 computer and it doesn’t work real well lol

14. Russ says:

I have two 36 inch monitors setup with 3 windows ce devices attached to the walls that monitor various servers and one that cycles through current time in my clients time zones. If you really want something extra thinkgeek has some external USB monitors. One even is a touch screen.

15. metalx1000 says:

I’ll answer this question with a video.

16. SimonF says: