I like music, I really do. I don’t listen to music as much as other people, largely because I like music so much that it sucks me in. I can’t work with music playing, because I just stop and listen to the music. I can usually watch TV while working, because it doesn’t draw me an as much as music.
Here’s my problem: After my car accident, I don’t really recall all the music that I used to. I know of many artists, but my knowledge is usually responsive rather than something I can call up at will. (ie, I hear a song and I recognize it, but I’d never think of it before hearing it first)
I’m hoping those that read my blog can help with directing me to songs I might like. Please don’t hesitate to suggest something. My likes are widely varied, and change from day to day. The kind of music I really want to rediscover would be music that:
- Shows off really good vocals
- Showcases unique vocal talents, a voice that is easily identifiable.
- I prefer lighter instruments. If it’s not terribly clear, I’m big on vocals. 🙂
- Art trumps perfection. The reason Miles Davis was so great was that he was perfect at his imperfections. The way he would fall off a note at the perfect time would add character not attainable with mere musical perfection. You can feel free to disagree, but that’s the kind of music I’m looking for. (Ironic I used an instrumental musician to showcase what I mean about vocals I really like — but a really good instrument counts too. Maybe it’s not just the human voice I like.)
- I really hope for specific song suggestions. Norah Jones, for example, I find to be absolutely brilliant. I don’t *feel* all of her songs though. So please, be specific.
So what do you think? Do you have any suggestions? Here are some random artists I enjoy from time to time:
Norah Jones, Jane’s Addiction, Nirvana, 3rd Day, Barry Manilow, Randy Travis, The Carpenters, Elton John, REM. I know there are tons more, but sadly I just can’t recall all the good ones. Please help me. 🙂